1. Oakland, JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU. Al Davis fired Art Shell, in part, because Shell convinced him to pass on Matt Leinart last year.
2. Detroit, Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech. The Lions go for another wide receiver in the first round. But this one can’t miss.
3. Cleveland, Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma. Peterson has an injury history, so he’ll fit right in with recent Cleveland first rounders.
4. Tampa Bay, Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin. A need pick for a team that couldn’t block a toilet in 2006.
5. Arizona, Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson. The Cardinals can score with anybody. They haven’t been able to stop them.
6. Washington, LaRon Landry, S, LSU. The Redskins get a safety to pair with Sean Taylor.
7. Minnesota, Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame. Just can’t pass on the quarterback.
8. Atlanta (from Houston), Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas. Lost Patrick Kearney in the offseason.
9. Miami, Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville. A youngster with plenty of upside to bolster an aging defense.
10. Houston (from Atlanta), Darrelle Revis, CB, Pitt. Texans have to play the Colts twice a year.
11. San Francisco, Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska. The Steelers really like this guy, but don’t get a chance at him.
12. Buffalo, Leon Hall, CB, Michigan. Bills allowed Nate Clements to leave in free agency.
13. St. Louis, Alan Branch, DT, Michigan. Some have Branch slipping, but the Rams need a big run-stuffing lineman.
14. Carolina, Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi. Dan Morgan is likely done. Willis fills the void.
15. Steelers, Anthony Spencer, DE/OLB, Purdue. Led the nation in tackles for a loss and also had 10 1/2 sacks in 2006. Would love to trade down to make this pick.
16. Green Bay, Marshawn Lynch, RB, California. Packers lost Ahman Green in the offseason. Lynch fills the void.
17. Jacksonville, Reggie Nelson, S, Florida. Deon Grant left in free agency and the Jags stay in state to get his replacement.
18. Cincinnati, Greg Olsen, TE, Miami (Fla.). With Chris Henry out half the season, the Bengals grab another weapon.
19. Tennessee, Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio State. The Titans grab a speedy weapon for Vince Young.
20. N.Y. Giants, Levi Brown, OT, Penn State. The Giants have several needs and this is a big one.
21. Denver, Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida. The Broncos need help up front. Moss is a rangy pass rusher.
22. Dallas, Aaron Ross, CB, Texas. Cowboys looking for secondary help stay in state to get it.
23. Kansas City, Ben Grubbs, G, Auburn. Retirements have ravaged Kansas City’s once-awesome offensive line.
24. New England, Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State. Posluszny is an inside backer in a 3-4 defense, but can play outside in a 4-3.
25. N.Y. Jets, Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas. This is the perfect trade-down partner for the Steelers, especially if Revis or Hall are available.
26. Philadelphia, Jon Beason, LB, Miami (Fla.). Eagles have serious linebacker problems and address the position.
27. New Orleans, Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee. The Saints couldn’t stop anybody on the ground last season.
28. New England, Michael Griffin, S, Texas. Find an eventual replacement for aging Rodney Harrison.
29. Baltimore, Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan. The Ravens aren’t sure Jonathan Ogden will be back this season. He won’t be back in 2008 for sure.
30. San Diego, Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU. Chargers add some size and speed on the outside.
31. Chicago, Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State. Bears think Lance Briggs is going to sit out the season.
32. Indianapolis, Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee. Brandon Stokley left in free agency and Meachem could help ease the eventual loss of Marvin Harrison.