Visit NFL from the sidelines on the new Observer-Reporter site: http://www.observer-reporter.com/section/BLOGS08

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Porter sounds off

You knew it had to happen. Joey Porter finally got a little fired up about something somebody from Seattle said this week, taking offense to some statements made by Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens.

Porter called Stevens "soft" and said he shouldn't be a player who's doing any talking this week leading up to the game.

"I've been asleep all week but now I got woke up," Porter said Wednesday. "I've got my first taste of blood and now I’m thirsty for more. Until now, it was 'Watch what I say,' 'I can’t say this,' 'I can’t say that,' 'Don't do anything silly,' but I’m ready now.
"You look for the guys that say something that aren't supposed to say nothing, and I feel like he definitely was out of pocket to say what he said. I'm going to make sure he owns up to those words."

Porter has been doing plenty of talking lately, but had been quiet in the past week and a half after being warned by head coach Bill Cowher.

We'll see what Cowher thinks of Porter's latest outburst, in which Porter also said Stevens can run, but he can't hide, and that he's going to put Stevens on his back.

The other big news to surface this week has been some photos of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger at a party with some young ladies in which Roethlisberger is pouring hard liquor into one girl's mouth.

The photos are semi-recent, but really aren't that big of a deal. Last time I checked, Roethlisberger is an adult. And the photos weren't taken here this week.

Roethlisberger does need, however, to be more careful in these days when everyone has a camera phone.

And finally, one of the Pittsburgh TV stations was trying to make a big deal out of Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward getting in late Monday evening, thinking they had some kind of scoop.

Hey fellas, they didn't have a curfew earler in the week. And the only thing they had to be at Tuesday morning was media day. Obviously, they didn't really have to be awake for that.

No comments: