Visit NFL from the sidelines on the new Observer-Reporter site: http://www.observer-reporter.com/section/BLOGS08

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Smith speaks about free agency

Steelers free agent-to-be offensive tackle Marvel Smith was on Sirius's "Movin' The Chains with hosts Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan Friday.

Here's what the discussion was:

Host, Pat Kirwan: "Marvel, you know free agency is right around the corner. You're going to be a free agent tackle. I'm going to assume you're going to hit the open market. You know the first question I'm going to ask [is] 'How much gas is left in your tank?' Because you have to sell that idea. Because if you got three in you, I got the contract waiting for you."

Marvel Smith: "I'm actually feeling really good. It was difficult going through the injury but, like I said, its probably a blessing that it happened the way it did because I almost didn't play the whole season so it feels like my body is that much more fresher because I had a lot more rest time or what not. And now, it was weird because at the Super Bowl it was a little more frustrating because I felt healthy enough to play. But that was the cards I was dealt. So right now I'm feeling healthy, I'm ready to go, I'm out here working out, training everything already so I'm feeling pretty good."

Pat Kirwan: "All three tackles for the Steelers are going to be hitting free agency in some form or another. Would you like to go back to Pittsburgh? Have they talked to you about coming back?"

Marvel Smith: "I would definitely love to be back in Pittsburgh. I've been there my whole career. So I would definitely love to retire as a Steeler if that's possible. There's definitely been some talk about trying to bring me back and seeing what it's going to take to do that. So my first choice would definitely be Pittsburgh and if that doesn't work out I'll definitely see what other options are out there."

Host, Tim Ryan: "Any hankering to get back to the west coast?"

Marvel Smith: "I was born and raised in Oakland, California. So for me if it didn't, for whatever reason I can't go back to Pittsburgh, and I've been on the east coast my whole career, I would definitely love to be back on the west coast. No doubt about that."

Tim Ryan: "Realistically, where do you see your market value with the situation you're in right now versus the other free agent tackles that are out there?"

Marvel Smith: "To tell you the truth I haven't really paid much attention to it. Talking to my agent there's definitely some interest out there and we'll get a better idea of what that is after the teams go through the combine and sit down and look at there personnel and stuff like that. I really don't judge myself amongst the other guys. I'm just trying to get myself back playing the type of football I know I can play, and go out there and play at the level that I want to."

Tim Ryan: "When healthy - and if you're healthy and you sound like you are, at least getting close - do you still feel like you're an elite left tackle in the pro game?"

Marvel Smith: "No doubt about it. Anybody that's out there in free agency - I don't want to sound, I don't want my comments taken out of context or whatever - but if I'm healthy there's nobody in free agency that's going to be a better left tackle then I am."

13 comments:

Patrick said...

can't really disagree with anything he said, except he has to show that he is healthy and can play a full season before any serious talks go on

ch3 said...

The guy hasn't played a full season in 2 years. He said he felt fine at the start of this year. He said the same things, and he didn't even play 1/3 of the season. If we resign him I will puke! Only way is if we get him for chump change.

rocket9 said...

If his back is good to go, I would ask him to play RT and have Starks fill in at LT for a year. That would mean they would need to find a LTOTF in the draft.
It's probably not going to happen. He'll get decent money to play LT for somebody and the STeelers can't afford to pay both Starks and Smith when they have so many players to re-up.

Dale Lolley said...

The only way they bring him back is at the vet minimum with plenty of incentives. And they won't do that without another option available as well.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you really ever "fix" back problems. My guess is that wherever he does sign, he sits out a good portion of the season in 09 due to the same injury.

Anonymous said...

DALE-

WAS "IN THE DUG-OUT" ELIMINATED FROM THE O-R BLOGS? I ENJOYED READING IT FOR THE SHORT TIME IT WAS UP. ANY WORD ON THIS SUBJECT?

-SASQUATCH

Dale Lolley said...

In the Doug-Out was eliminated. Not enough viewership.

Anonymous said...

Dale,

Do you expect the Steelers to offer Starks significant money or will they try to lowball him?

Also, what do they think of the progress that Tony Hills made this year? Does he get a shot to earn some playing time next year?

Anonymous said...

Dale,

I remember when we drafted Tony Hills he was almost guaranteed to have a "redshirt" year due to his late season college injury & inexperience. With that being said & true, do you see enough talent in this fellow to be a legitimate contender for LT this year?

-sasquatch

Patrick said...

Hey Dale

What about Tony Hills?

(sorry I'm a wise ass)

I think we will see the Steelers bring in at least 1 mid level Offensive Lineman. I'm going to predict Tauscher. Though he's kind of the same problem as Marvel with injuries.

But I think the FO solution to the lack of depth on the OL will be the exact same response as last year's response was to lack of RB's. A mid level FA and a high pick - RD 1 or 2. That FA could be our own too in Starks or Marvel.

Anonymous said...

I hope the Steelers re-sign Starks and Essex, draft a OT and they still have Capizzi and Hills for depth

Smith can not be relied on anymore

Dale Lolley said...

I think Essex will be back. They'll offer him the chance to compete at LG with whatever rookie they draft. Essex will at least start the year there and give way to the rookie at some point.

I don't think they'll low-ball Starks. I'm guessing four years around $20 million with a $5-7-million bonus would get it done unless he thinks he can get more on the open market. I'm no capologist, though, so maybe that won't get it done.

Hills looked very raw in camp. He bulked up a little over the course of the season. I started to see some muscle definition - which he didn't have when he got here - but he's got a ways to go. This is a big offseason for him.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're right about Essex. I still dont get why they played Stapleton over Essex after Simmons was injured