Visit NFL from the sidelines on the new Observer-Reporter site: http://www.observer-reporter.com/section/BLOGS08

Friday, October 29, 2010

Who I like, New Orelans version

This is truly a tough spot for the Steelers.

New Orleans on Halloween night is not only going to be loud, it's going to be hostile. While Steelers fans often overrun many visiting stadiums, I don't expect that to happen this week.

Saints fans aren't likely to sell tickets for a game pitting the last two Super Bowl champions in one of the biggest night games of the season.

The fact that Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith are both likely out of action also bothers me.

Though we know the Saints won't run the ball a ton, Ziggy Hood and Nick Eason are going to get a workout rushing the passer - with little in the terms of backups behind them.

Also, Smith and Keisel are the two tallest defensive linemen on the roster. Keisel, in particular, has very long arms and is good at batting down passes, something that comes into play against 6-0 Drew Brees.

The other thing that gives me caution is the defending Super Bowl champion factor.

Yes, I know the Saints have struggled, but so did the Steelers in both of their seasons after winning the Super Bowl.

If you remember those seasons, the Steelers invariably lost to lesser teams but somehow got inspired to beat the good ones.

And make no doubt about it, the Steelers will have the full attention of the Saints.

Pittsburgh could certainly win this game and I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers did.

But they aren't going to go 8-0 on the road this season and I like them to win their remaining road games - yes, even at Baltimore Dec. 5.

Take New Orleans, 28-27

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This really is I think one of the toughest games to call all season for us. I just don't have much faith in our pass d to stop Brees, but he's not looked like himself this year at times. I mean, come on, Cleveland???

Scott said...

Nope, you're wrong.
Stillers 31
Saints 27

Anonymous said...

I hate you Dale Lolley.

Steelblitzkrieg ;^P

Steelers 38
Saints 24

Skinley said...

Saints 23
Steelers 16

Steve-O said...

I have to admit your rational makes sense Dale, but there is a chink in the Saint's armor this year and Brees is susceptible to a pass rush right up the middle and in his face so the D has a chance to disrupt and force turnovers. The way I see the game is all dependent on Jeremy Shockey. If the Steelers D can keep him covered then they take away the dump off and we win. If not, then the Steelers lose.

C'mon D, you can do it!!!

adamg said...

Dale, are the Steelers going to try and get by with 4 DL for this game?

Patrick said...

I'd bet the house McLendon gets called up.

Patrick said...

not surprised at McLendon, but very surprised they risked losing Gibson.

Dale, do you think he'll clear waivers?

adamg said...

I was a bit surprised Gibson was cut, too, but there's not a lot of pro film on him, so I'd guess he'll clear waivers. Keep in mind, if a team claims him, they'll have to cut someone from their roster, too.

Patrick said...

also says a lot about what they think of Sylvester. I like that guy's moxy a lot, so I'm glad he isn't risked.

Anonymous said...

there's no reason to think the steelers secondary can stop the saints' passing game. the secondary has proved they don't give up the big play, but they don't shut down other team's passing attacks. the saints will find openings all day long on short and intermediate routes and end up controlling the clock that way. take the saints in this game, they have more on the line.

Anonymous said...

He'll probably clear waiver, butGibson can be added to someone elses practice squad. McClendon is on the roster to stay for good now. I hope the steelers can jason add him to their PS, I like his potential

though I thought he would be faster developing than worilds

emac2 said...

No way Gibson clears waivers.

My question about NO is are they really that good? They haven't played very good teams this year and what they did last year was, in case anyone missed it, last year.

My concern for the game is simply that we will allow points and probably have to score over 25 to win.

Doable but not betable.

Steelers 31-24

Dale Lolley said...

I think Gibson could clear. Despite his good camp, he didn't show too much in the preseason. And the fact that he hasn't been active at all means there's very little tape of him. I'd say it's 50-50.

I was a little surprised when they told me yesterday that it was Gibson, but the move makes some sense. He hasn't been active all season.