Here's my mock draft through 20 picks. We're inching closer to a complete deal – though I may do another in the final week. I've got some surprises in the second 10.
1. Carolina, Cam Newton, QB, Auburn - They could take a defensive tackle such as Marcel Darius, but I think Newton will be the guy.
2. Denver, Marcel Darius, DT, Alabama - A much safer pick than Nick Fairley.
3. Buffalo, Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M – Miller might be the surest thing in this draft.
4. Cincinnati, A.J. Green, WR, Georgia - If Newton isn’t there, the Bengals wait until later to grab a QB.
5. Arizona, Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU - The Cardinals need a QB, but pass on Blaine Gabbert.
6. Cleveland, Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina - The Browns need defensive front help.
7. San Francisco, Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska - The 49ers could be a prime trade partner looking to move down - hello Minnesota.
8. Tennessee, Nick Fairley, DT. Auburn - The Titans keep building up their defensive front.
9. Dallas, Tyron Smith, OT, USC - The Cowboys seem to be zoning in on Smith.
10. Washington, Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri - The Redskins can afford to give Gabbert a year to learn behind Donovan McNabb.
11. Houston, Julio Jones, WR, Alabama – Adding Jones to an already potent offense could make the Texans a playoff team in 2011.
12. Minnesota, Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple – I don’t expect the Vikings to pick in this spot. They’ll trade it for a QB, either an established veteran or moving up to get Blaine Gabbert.
13. Detroit, Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College – The Lions need to keep QB Matthew Stafford upright and healthy.
14. St. Louis, Cameron Jordan, DL, California – A receiver would fit better, but Jordan could immediately step into the rotation.
15. Miami, Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas – The first big surpise of the draft. Chad Henne and Tyler Thigpen are not the answer. The Dolphins would love to move down and make this pick.
16. Jacksonvillle, Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue – Kerrigan is the pass rusher the Jaguars have been lacking for several years.
17. New England, J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin – Watt is a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense.
18. San Diego, Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson – Bowers is a top-10 talent, but there are questions about the health of his knees. San Diego rolls the dice.
19. New York Giants, Mike Pouncey, G, Florida – Pouncey loses a bet with his brother, going one pick behind where the Steelers selected Maurkice in 2010.
20. Tampa Bay, Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa – The Bucs were terrible against the run last season and need help at end.