Visit NFL from the sidelines on the new Observer-Reporter site: http://www.observer-reporter.com/section/BLOGS08

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mock me if you will

With just a couple of days remaining before the 2010 draft, it’s time to take a final stab at looking how things may break down.

Of course there very well could be a trade or two before now and Thursday and I’ll update things as those happen.

But here’s a look at how I see things happening when it gets hot and heavy on Thursday.

1. St. Louis, Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma - No secret here.

2. Detroit Lions, Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

3. Tampa Bay, Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State - Offensive tackle is a bigger need than DT for the Bucs.

4. Washington, Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

5. Kansas City, Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma - Remember that Scott Pioli was in New England when the Pats built their defense around first-round draft picks on the line.

6. Seattle, Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

7. Cleveland, Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech - The Browns need somebody to rush the passer.

8. Oakland, Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State - We all know the Raiders don’t look at players the same way other teams do. Al Davis goes for the speedy cornerback.

9. Buffalo, Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame - The Bills need a quarterback to build around in the future.

10. Jacksonville, Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida - The Jaguars have been trying in vain to beef up their pass rush for several years.

11. Denver, Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

12. Miami, Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee - Miami nose tackle Jason Ferguson is suspended for the first eight games of 2010.

13. San Francisco, Brian Baluga, OT, Iowa

14. Seattle, C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

15. N.Y. Giants, Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama

16. Tennessee, Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State

17. San Francisco, Joe Haden, CB, Florida – The Steelers could work a deal with Tennessee if it gets to this point, to give them a chance to grab Haden before the Titans.

18. Steelers, Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida – Mike Iupati could be the pick here and, who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind. But right now, they can take Pouncey, play him at center or guard and upgrade the offensive line right away.

19. Atlanta, Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

20. Houston, Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

21. Cincinnati, Earl Thomas, S, Texas - The Bengals are building a very solid secondary.

22. New England, Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

23. Green Bay, Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas - The Packers need somebody to push the pocket opposite Clay Matthews.

24. Philadelphia, Taylor Mays, S, USC

25. Baltimore, Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers – The Ravens addressed their wide receiver needs in free agency.

26. Arizona, Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

27. Dallas, Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

28. San Diego, Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State

29. N.Y. Jets, Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri

30. Minnesota, Jahvid Best, RB, Cal - A complementary runner to pair with Adrian Petersen.

31. Indianapolis, Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana – The Colts want to keep Peyton Manning as healthy as long as possible.

32. New Orleans, Brian Price, DT, UCLA

If things go this way, the Steelers could definitely be looking to make a move up into the early part of hte second round in an effort to grab Alabama cornerback Kareem Jackson. If they stay put, Brandon Ghee could be the target.

24 comments:

Pgh Saint said...

If Ben is suspended before the draft, say 4 to 8 games, how will this effect the Steelers draft?

carync said...

Realistic draft scenario. Seems all of the draft "experts" have us picking Pouncey. I'm hoping for Earl Thomas, but he probably won't be there. Pouncey would be fine by me if he's not.

jfam99 said...

I'd be super happy with Pouncey, his versatility and tenacity would make him a great fit

Ben said...

Solid mock Dale.

I can't help but wonder if Pouncey would be a reach at 18; assuming Iupati and Earl Thomas are around, I'd be more tempted to go in that direction. The dream scenario of course is Haden falling to 18.

Vaflyer said...

If Haden gets to 16 we move up and draft him there, IMO. He is a difference maker CB. I have no problem with taking Pouncey, but I have to think that they will move down based on the guys which are still on the board.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dale you have Devin McCourty, Rutgers going to the Ravens and Vikings.

I real hope we can trade up 2 spots for Joe Haden. He is exactly what this defense needs.

Unknown said...

Hey Dale, a couple of weeks you chided me in this blog for saying the Steelers should take Pouncey at 18. You said "when was the last time a quality center was taken at 18? He'd better be Dermonti Dawson and Pouncey is not". Glad to see you've come around. Why the change of heart?

Tom said...

I don't want Haden. He isn't a #1 CB IMO. I just don't want anything to do with him.

I would rather Pouncey or Thomas in the 1st. I still want Tate in the 2nd (if that is possible).

Dale Lolley said...

Just research, Jaz. Plus, the more I thought about it, the more the position flexibility thing came into play. He can play guard or center. Iupati can play guard or possibly play tackle. Possibly is a big thing for me, particularly for a guy who struggles with the pass rush. So Pouncey makes the most sense.

I think with Ben looking down the barrel of at least a four-game stretch on the sidelines, they'll really want to upgrade the line to emphasize the running game. That settled me in on Pouncey.

Anonymous said...

i'd like to see them pick up gerhart in the middle rounds if possible. the kids runs like a man possessed.

Patrick said...

In Rd 2, I think either Tate or Kareem Jackson will be traded up for. Jackson seems like a perfect fit for the Steelers.

Guys I think will be Steelers by the end of the weekend:
-Iupati
-Jackson
-Blount
-Chaney
-Geathers
-Conner
and some mid round WR, not sure where Decker is projected, but he seems like a good fit.

I think the Jackson pick moves Lewis to safety, Gay to the sidelines after game 6 or 7, and Burnett as #3. That is a secondary I could live with.

If TB passes on McCoy I'd be shocked. Also, in your draft, KC would have the most expensive but unproven 3-4 front ever with Dorsey, Jackson and McCoy - I just don't see it. Where does McCoy fit?

datruth4life said...

Dale,

I agree that Pouncey sounds like a Steelers type of pick in the first round, but if CB/S Earl Thomas is available, I'm hoping that the Steelers take him. Our secondary needs playmakers, period! I prefer E. Thomas over Pouncey because I think he could have more impact on a game by being able to take the ball away. I prefer Pouncey over Iupati because I think he'd be a better pass blocker from Day One and could start out at guard and then move over to center.

My Final Mock Draft for Steelers:

1) CB/S Earl Thomas, UT
2) NT Torell Troupe, UCF
3) G/T John Jerry, Ole Miss
4) LB Eric Norwood, South Carolina
5) WR Carlton Mitchell, USF
5) CB A.J. Jefferson, Fresno State
5) LT/RT Ed Wang, Virginia Tech
5) RB Charles Scott, LSU
6) DE Corey Peters, Kentucky
7) WR Joe Webb, Alabama-Birmingham
7) DE/LB Adrian Tracey, William & Mary

Anonymous said...

no leaked schedule info Dale?

c'mon man, where's the inside info?

Anonymous said...

datruth,
you know they won't draft that many guys.

Dale Lolley said...

The league is very secretive about the scheduled.
I have my doubts about them taking Blount. I actually like Johnson from LSU better.

As for the KC defensive line, as I stated, Pioli was in the loop in NE when they built their D around Seymour and Wilfork.
TB just doesn't need a DT as badly as it does a LT.

datruth4life said...

Marc, they could very well trade some picks, but if not, then just take the best player. You need people on your practice squad and I think there are probably more openings on this 9-7 roster than what people think. Draft the best players and let the action on the field determines who stays and who goes.

I think the Steelers have fallen behind the Ravens and Bengals when it comes to overall talent and they need to catch up in a hurry.

Patrick said...

I'll bet the house if Suh or McCoy is on the board, TB takes one. And I also don't see KC doing that - it would be a waste of money to pay a guy who doesn't fit your scheme, McCoy just isn't a 3-4 guy.

I don't think it matters much though, because KC likely won't have the option with both DT's off the board. I'm curious with the Carriker trade if STL is focusing on Suh or McCoy, but I'd be suprised - Bradford should be the pick.

Anonymous said...

Pouncey can certainly play C or G. I think 18 is too high for any interior player, but I do think Pouncey is the best interior prospect in this class. As C, he's easily better than just about any that have come out since probably Mangold.

Mike Iupati will likely never play OT in the NFL. He certainly SHOULDN'T. If he does, I predict his time there will be brief and very, very ugly for his QB.

datruth4life said...

Dale,

Ed Bouchette said the Steelers would be reaching by taking M. Pouncey at no. 18. I would agree. I don't think they'd be reaching at no. 18 for CB/S Earl Thomas.

Also, Steelers get B. Leftwich back for a 7th round pick. Welcome back, big fella. Bye-Bye Charlie Batch. This has the Steelers draft night off to a good start already.

Collin Williams said...

The Pittsburgh Steelers have traded a 7th round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Quarterback Bryon Leftwich. The Steelers have signed him to a one year contract worh 2 million dollars.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, don't watch many TB games, but what I've heard from their fans is their oline is pretty much good. Not overly special but get the job done, kinda like the steelers

I really doubt they select LT in the first. They just can't go wrong with McCoy

That said, solid mock dale

Dale Lolley said...

TB got its QB of the future last year. Now, they'll want to get a LT to protect him throughout his career.

As for Pouncey, I just see the Steelers wanting to upgrade the offensive line and taking the guy to do that. They've ignored it too long and being that they'll have to lean on the running game a little more than last year, it makes sense.
Plus, remember that few teams had Casey Hampton as a top-20 pick in 2001. There's nothing saying the Steelers don't move back and take Pouncey, then use what they've acquired to move up to take a CB.
I see them being very aggressive in this draft.

Patrick said...

I like the idea of trading back and then trading up, Pouncey and Jackson would be great.

I am changing my mind lightening quick here, but Iupati to the Raiders makes no sense, that means it makes perfect sense for crazy Al to take him. I think he'll be gone before the Steelers pick now.

As for TB, to take a cue from the late great Myron Cope, I'll swim the Monongahela if they take a tackle over Suh or McCoy.

datruth4life said...

Dale,

If they are going to trade back, then they should have 3 to 4 players in mind that'll be there that they would be happy with. I imagine that Pouncey is one of those players. I don't think you take him that high if you can move back, get value and still get him. An extra 3rd and 6th round pick in this draft is gold.

However, I have a funny feeling that either CB Joe Haden or CB/S Earl Thomas will be there when the Steelers pick. If that is the case, I think the Steelers should pull the trigger and use the rest of the picks to address a few holes and depth. A corner who is ready to play now is a priority in this draft.